Going grocery shopping for the first time? Here is a college grocery list that will help you plan everything you need for your dorm room.
One thing about going to college is you’re an adult. That means you have to go grocery shopping on your own. I know it might sound frightening having to go to the grocery store by yourself.
But trust me, once you figure out everything you need, it will save you time and money. That’s why I have a college grocery list is beneficial. When you go to the grocery store without a list, you end up buying unnecessary things (target is my weakness), spend way more than intended, forgetting what I was supposed to buy, and buying a bunch of unhealthy food.
With this college grocery list, you’re guaranteed to end up leaving the store quicker and not forgetting anything. In this post, you’re going to find some college meals, a college snack list, and a dorm grocery list.
College Recipes For College Grocery List
Sorry to tell you this, but in college, you’re always on the go.
But you can’t skip the most important meal of the day, so if you’re running late to class or need some healthy college breakfast ideas.
Here are some of the best breakfast ideas for college students :
1. Yogurt - It may sound boring, but there are so many things you can do with it. That's why it's my favorite go-to breakfast.
I could be running late, and all you need is some yogurt, granola, honey, and some fruit, and you're done. At to same time in the morning, you could meal prep and put it in mason jars so you can have yogurt for the entire week.
2. Protein Shake- A healthy breakfast idea for college students is a protein shake. Protein shakes are great when you're on the go, and it's easy to make.
3. Nut Butter Toast with Banana Slices- I love almond butter toast with banana slices sometimes, and I like to add chia seeds to make me feel full.
4. Bagel and Cream Cheese- It is pretty basic, but sometimes that's all we need.
5. Breakfast Sandwich- Try making a breakfast sandwich by cooking some scrambled eggs, crispy bacon, and melted cheddar cheese wrapped together in buttered toast.
6. Muffins- Muffins are great for a college breakfast. You can buy them in bulk and have them throughout the week. If you're running late or want a quick snack, it's a great go to.
Need some more inspiration on college breakfast, check out my post on 12 healthy breakfast ideas for college students.
Eating lunch is just as important as breakfast.
I know you probably have a meal plan at your school, but sometimes you’re going to get tired of eating in the cafeteria.
Trust me, after three weeks at my school. I was ready for something different.
So here are some mouthwatering lunch ideas to try:
1. Microwave Mug Meals- You would be surprised what you can make in your microwave. That is why this is a great lunch idea. It's super easy and doesn't require a lot.
I created a whole post on 23 mouth-watering microwave mug meals you can make in your dorm room.
2. Chicken Wrap- A chicken wrap it's pretty customizable. All you need is your wrap.
You could do a lettuce wrap or tortilla wrap, then you need vegetables, then rotisserie chicken. I like to have rotisserie chicken because it's already cooked and easy to shred instead of cooking the chicken yourself.
3. Salad- Salads are easy. But you don't have to have a regular plain Salad. You can dress it up with different dressings, fruits, and vegetables. You can also buy a pre-made salad at your local grocery store.
4. Grilled Cheese and Soup- Grilled cheese sandwiches and soup is my go-to comfort meal.
If you want to feel home away from home, grilled cheese and warm soup are always good. Plus, with grilled cheese, it doesn't take a lot of work to make. Here's my favorite grilled cheese recipe from Disney.
5. Macaroni and Cheese- This microwave mac and cheese is creamy and delicious and can be made in less than 5 minutes.
This looks mouth-watering, and macaroni and cheese is an easy meal that you can make in your dorm.
Now my favorite time of the day is dinner. As a college student, after studying all day, I look forward to dinner.
I know it’s easy to get takeout food after a long day but trust me, it will add up, and your bank account will reflect. I completely get that convinecncy is great. I love Door Dash and GrubHub, but this grocery list encourages you to cook more at home.
Check out my go-to dinner meals that I love:
1. Crockpot Meal- I love my crockpot. This best selling crockpot will allow you to cook mouthwatering meals.
I cook a roast, soup, pasta, and even buffalo chicken dip for parties with my crockpot. You can do so much with this crockpot, and it will allow you to create some delicious college meals to add to your college grocery list.
2. Chicken and Broccolli Alfredo- This is my favorite go-to. It’s effortless and quick. If you’re a massive fan of alfredo like me, this is great to make in your dorm.
All you need is your favorite pasta, broccoli, Alfredo sauce, and rotisserie chicken.
3. Pizza- Can’t go wrong with a frozen pizza. You could even get pizza bites instead.
4. Baked Potato- I love using my air fryer to make a baked potato in there. Even if you don’t have an air fryer, you can use a microwave or an oven for cooking the perfect baked potato.
5. Ramen Noodles- Ramen noodles are the ultimate college meal go-to. It’s the perfect meal when you are in a rush, and it can be made in less than minutes.
Plus, it tastes delicious. I like to add different things to my noodles, and you can add eggs, various seasonings, or even hot sauce. Best part of this college meal is it's the best food to buy in bulk for college.
Went shopping for some healthy college snacks, make sure you find some healthy snacks and give you energy throughout the day.
Just keep in mind that a snack is to hold you off until your next meal, so don’t go too crazy.
Here’s a few of my favorite healthy snacks:
1. Pretzel and Hummus- This is my roommate's favorite college snack. This is a healthy choice to add to your college grocery list. Super simple and doesn't cost a lot
2. Apples and Nut Butter- This is my favorite healthy college snack because it's cheap and delicious.
3. Popcorn- If you never had boom Chicka boom kettle corn popcorn. It's a must. It's healthy, tastes like popcorn, and affordable. If you want a quick snack, this always satisfies my cravings
4. Cheese stick- Something to include for a poor college student grocery list is cheese sticks. Cheese sticks are cheap to buy, and you can buy it in bulk that is good and salty that will satisfy your savory taste buds.
How to Save Money While You Grocery Shop
I am going to share with you the most kept secret from college students.
The way I save money from grocery stores is by using the app Ibotta. Ibotta has saved me so much money. How it works is that you go grocery shopping, and you look through the Ibotta app to see if there's any cashback offers.
After you finish grocery shopping, you scan the product with the app and upload a picture of your receipt. After it's been verified, you get cashback to your account. It's a straightforward way to save money while you grocery shop and check off items on your college grocery list.
I save more money by looking through the app before I go to the grocery store so I can add the items onto my list.
Another way that I found helpful when I go grocery shopping is downloading the store's app.
When I download apps like Target and Walmart, they usually provide you the best deals in their grocery store.
I love target because you can join their rewards program, and then I'll update you on the biggest sales of that week. I saved a lot of money for groceries and articles of clothing.
Here are a few of my favorite stories I like to shop at Walmart, Target, Aldi‘s, and Trader Joe’s.
College Grocery List (Free Printable)
Now the moment you’ve been waiting for—the best shopping list for college students.
This healthy shopping list for students it’s a blank for you to add your groceries on. I suggest trying to go grocery shopping once a week and write out what you plan on eating for the rest of the week.
THIS POST IS SHOWED The Best College Grocery List.
OTHER POSTS YOU MAY LIKE:
- 12 Healthy College Breakfast Ideas
- Easy Microwaveable Mug Meal Ideas You Can Make in Your Dorm
- How to Avoid the Freshman 15 in College
Don’t Forget to Pin to College Board!